Hilary Duff Reveals the ‘Lizzie McGuire’ Reboot Is Canceled

DFree/Shutterstock

As if 2020 couldn’t get any worse, Hilary Duff just revealed that Disney+ will not be moving forward with the highly-anticipated Lizzie McGuire reboot.

Duff announced the disappointing news on Instagram Wednesday afternoon, stating that Disney Plus couldn’t come to an agreement on how Lizzie would be depicted in the reboot.

Filming of the series began earlier this year before the ongoing pandemic shut down sets around the globe. Disney reportedly didn’t like the mature content that was being showcased by both Duff and showrunner Terry Minsky, which led to Minsky’s exit and the halting of production.

In an interview with Variety, Minsky told the publication that the cast and crew completed two episodes of the series before her exit.

“I am so proud of the two episodes we did,” Minsky said. “Hilary has a grasp of Lizzie McGuire at 30 that needs to be seen. It’s a wonderful thing to watch. I would love the show to exist, but ideally, I would love it if it could be given that treatment of going to Hulu and doing the show that we were doing.”

In Duff’s statement to fans, the actress wrote that she is honored to have been able to play Lizzie and have a lasting impact on viewers. She also mentioned that she wants any reboot to have an honest and authentic look at Lizzie’s life as a single 30-year-old mom.

“I want any reboot of Lizzie to be honest and authentic to who Lizzie would be today. It’s what the character deserves,” Duff wrote. “We can all take a moment to mourn the amazing woman she would have been and the adventures we would have taken with her.”

While we are incredibly sad to hear that the reboot won’t be happening, we can’t wait to see what the years ahead have in store for Duff and the rest of the cast.