Look Out for ‘Homemade’, A Netflix Collection of Short Films Based in Isolation
Netflix recently announced the film Homemade, a collection of short films directed by actors and actresses in isolation.
Hollywood has had it rough these past couple of months with the Coronavirus pandemic circling the nation. Movie theaters, television show productions, and movie productions have either been canceled or postponed until 2021.
Luckily, Netflix has created an initiative for 17 actors and actresses to direct short films. These films express these performers’ experiences being isolated in their homes. Homemade premieres on June 30: Proceeds are to be donated from Netflix’s Hardship Fund to third parties contributing to emergency relief for unemployed cast and crew members.
HOMEMADE, a collection of short films shot in isolation from around the world, includes films by acclaimed directors Ladj Ly, Pablo Larraín, Rungano Nyoni, Gurinder Chadha, Kristen Stewart, Naomi Kawase, Rachel Morrison, Sebastián Lelio, and more.
On Netflix 30 June. pic.twitter.com/8XvsI0d0tN
— NetflixFilm (@NetflixFilm) June 23, 2020
This project is headlined by Jackie director Pablo Larrain, his brother and creative partner Juan de Dios Larrain, and Lorenzo Mieli, CEO of Italian company The Apartment.
Movie and short film fans online are interested in seeing Hollywood creatives band together to conceive art through struggles and insecurities from lockdown. Others were more excited to see actress Kristen Stewart and Pablo Larrain collaborate for the first time before their Princess Diana film Spencer begins production in 2021.
What a creative idea! It’s amazing to see what people are capable of doing when they come together, especially during a time of uncertainty like right now. I look forward to watching this! pic.twitter.com/EJ7Uf7LzR1
— Aggie (@mendiefromnorth) June 23, 2020
for those asking about kristen stewart as a director, watch this https://t.co/VqBkVV7YDf
— ms. catra (@juIuiza) June 23, 2020
See the full list of actors and actresses and their various projects below:
- Ladj Ly (Les Misérables) – short filmed in Clichy Montfermeil (France)
- Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty, The New Pope) – short filmed in Rome (Italy)
- Rachel Morrison (Black Panther, Mudbound) – short filmed in Los Angeles (U.S.)
- Pablo Larraín (El Club, Jackie) – short filmed in Santiago (Chile)
- Rungano Nyoni (Kuuntele: I am not a witch) – short filmed in Lisbon (Portugal)
- Natalia Beristáin (She does not want to sleep alone) – short filmed in Mexico City (Mexico)
- Sebastian Schipper (Victoria, Roads) – short filmed in Berlin (Germany)
- Naomi Kawase (True Mothers, Sweet Bean) – short filmed in Nara (Japan)
- David Mackenzie (Hell or High Water, Outlaw King) – short filmed in Glasgow (Scotland)
- Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Kindergarten Teacher, The Honourable Woman) – short filmed in Vermont (U.S.)
- Nadine Labaki & Khaled Mouzanar (Caramel, Capernaum) – short filmed in Beirut (Lebanon)
- Antonio Campos (The Devil All The Time) – short filmed in Springs, New York City (U.S.)
- Johnny Ma (Old Stone, To live to sing) – short filmed in San Sebastian del Oeste, Jalisco (Mexico)
- Kristen Stewart (Clouds of Sils Maria, Come Swim) – short filmed in Los Angeles (U.S.)
- Gurinder Chadha (Bend It Like Beckham, Blinded by the Light) – short filmed in London (U.K.)
- Sebastián Lelio (Gloria Bell, A Fantastic Woman) – short filmed in Santiago (Chile)
- Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, The Bad Batch) – short filmed in Los Angeles (U.S.)