FLAWLESS SKIN TIPS FROM DR. DOWNIE
Glitter recently sat down with dermatologist, Dr. Jeanine Downie, to find out her tips for the perfect skincare regimen and how to get the most flawless skin for prom night. Her tips are a life saver. Start a month before for flawless skin by prom night!
- Start prepping your skin for prom early (pimples can start forming under the skin well before they appear on the surface) with a regular skin care routine.
- I recommend Benzac Complete Acne Solution Regimen, which is available at the drugstore and includes the Benzac Skin Balancing Foaming Cleanser, Benzac Blemish Clearing Hydrator and Benzac Intensive Spot Treatment to cleanse, treat and hydrate the skin.
- The Benzac regimen combines tough acne-fighting medicine with soothing East Indian Sandalwood Oil, salicylic acid and naturally derived ingredients (onion extract, Kakadu plum, honeysuckle, lemon myrtle and zinc) to make skin smooth and luminous. It is the only skincare line that uses pure, pharmaceutical-grade East Indian Sandalwood Oil, a natural ingredient that is known to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties while soothing the skin.
- If you haven’t experienced improvement within two weeks after using Benzac products, it’s time to visit your doctor for a prescription treatment like Epiduo Gel – a once-daily, antibiotic-free acne treatment that combines adapalene 0.1% and benzoyl peroxide 2.5% –– in a single product. Benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria that lead to breakouts and helps prevent pimples from coming back, while adapalene (a type of retinoid) unclogs blocked pores, helping to stop acne from forming under the skin’s surface and decreasing the redness, swelling and inflammation associated with pimples.
- There is no need to be frustrated by pimples when there are effective treatments available.
- As tempting as it may be, don’t try to squeeze blackheads or pop pimples. That can actually make the breakout worse by pushing the bacteria back into the pore and can even cause scarring.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid processed foods – fruits, vegetables, whole grains are better choices. Also, at all costs, avoid the tanning bed, because UV rays do not clear up your acne (contrary to popular belief). For the golden look, you can get the same effect with a sunless tanner without the risks of skin cancer and premature aging.
- To combat breakouts the week of a major event, use a spot treatment. Benzac Intensive Spot Treatment neutralizes newly forming breakouts before they emerge and treats existing acne while unclogging pores. The powerful, fast-drying gel contains East Indian Sandalwood Oil to soothe red, irritated skin. Known to help combat scarring, odorless onion extract is also included in the spot treatment.
- Twice-daily gentle exfoliation, such as with a washcloth, can be helpful to boost the glow factor.
- Stick to your routine and don’t try a new product or makeup just in case it causes irritation.
- If you do get a pimple the night before, try using a spot treatment. A doctor’s office alternative is to get a cortisone shot, which can start working immediately to take down the swelling.
- If you’re planning on using makeup on prom day, rule #1 is to check the label to ensure that the concealer, foundation or blush that you’re using is oil-free and won’t exacerbate breakouts. Watch out for ingredients such as mineral oil or waxes. Mineral makeups can help cover up breakouts while you’re waiting for your treatment to clear your skin, and bacteria, including since P. acnes, the bacteria linked to acne, have a harder time growing in mineral makeups versus other options. Also, keep your makeup brushes clean by washing them at least once a week so dirt, bacteria and oil don’t buildup.