INTERVIEWS

Interview with Genevieve Piturro of the Pajama Program

Glitter magazine recently sat down with  Genevieve Piturro to talk about the amazing Pajama Program and how you can get involved our lovely Glitter readers. The Pajama Program is inspiring and so is Genevieve’s story. Read on to find out more on how you can spread the joy and help others this holiday season!

Children 2

GLITTER: What inspired you to start Pajama Program?

GENEVIEVE: In 2000, I visited a Center in Harlem for children with no fathers and whose mothers were in prison. My intention was to read with them in the evening, after my work day. One night as I said goodbye to the children I watched them go into a nearby room to sleep. They slowly climbed onto couches and futons. Some were crying and the staff tried to comfort them and ease them onto a soft surface. There was no changing of their clothes, no bedtime stories, no hugs from moms or dads. I was paralyzed. This was not the way bedtime was supposed to be for a child. I waited for the staff to finish with the children and asked them if they needed pajamas…could I bring some? I couldn’t believe what the staff told me about the children who were brought to them every day and every night. The stories of abuse and neglect were horrifying and heart breaking. I couldn’t change what had happened to these children but at least I could give them a pair of warm, clean pajamas. The next week I brought 12 pairs of pajamas with me – one for each child I was told would be there.

2 girls hugging

As the children came into the room to sit and read with me, I gave each one a pair of pajamas. After a few minutes, one little girl looked up at me…

“What are these?” she quietly asked

“They’re pajamas,” I answered her.

“Where do I wear them?”

I answered, “To bed at night.”

She looked at me, puzzled.

“What do you usually wear to bed?” I asked her.

“My pants,” she said quietly.

My heart sank. On the subway to work a few weeks later I felt what I can only describe as a “raindrop” fall onto my head and the words PAJAMA PROGRAM spoke to me from it loud and clear. It was at that moment I knew I had found my true purpose in life and it drives me day and night.

Image result for pajama program logo

GLITTER: How can teens get involved with Pajama Program?

GENEVIEVE: Teens can join our Teen Ambassador Club – contact Liz at Pajama Program (lizdb@pajamaprogram.org). Teen Ambassadors is a leadership program for high school students initiated by Pajama Program to provide leadership opportunities while supporting Pajama Program’s mission. The goal of the program is to help teens develop important skills including the ability to inspire and motivate their peers, to communicate effectively, to take initiative with ideas, and to make plans and execute them. Students will participate in brainstorming sessions and learn how to collaboratively share ideas and create programs by developing a Leadership Action Plan. The Ambassadors will meet monthly throughout the school year at Pajama Program Headquarters for 1-2 hours after school. Participation will help students fulfill community service requirements for graduation and build experience for life. The hope is that these student ambassadors will make community service and activism an important part of their lives and become lifelong volunteers in pursuit of helping those that are less fortunate.

Currently, we have 10 very enthusiastic 2014-15 Teen Ambassadors who are working on several project to build awareness and raise funds in support of Pajama Program. Most recently they initiated a social media campaign in honor of Giving Tuesday on December 12 which asked that friends & family take a selfie in pajamas and post it on social media using the hashtag #pajamapic. After posting pics participants were asked to donate $10 using this link http://www.pajamaprogram.org/help-pajama-program/donate-now, indicate #pajamapic in  the description box and pass it on to 10 friends.  The Ambassadors represent schools in three of the five boroughs, Staten Island Technical H.S., Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis H.S., Talent Unlimited H.S., The Academy of American Studies and Washington Heights Expeditionary Learning School. In addition to the #pajamapic campaign they are developing individual projects within their schools including organizing schoolwide Pajama Day where every student & faculty member may wear PJ’s as long as they bring a new pair of PJ’s or a $10 donation and Pennies for Pajamas which is a competition between classes to see who can collect the most spare change, the winners get a pizza party and the change gets donated to Pajama Program.

As a teen, you can:

-Write a blog post about Pajama Program (if they have a blog, Tumblr, etc).

-Organize a Pajama fun run

-Write about Pajama Program in their school newspaper

– Bake sale at school

-Turn their birthday party into a fundraiser

-Host a pajama party themed school dance

-Post on Facebook and social media.

-Take #pajama pic selfies and a link to Pajama Program to raise awareness

-Host a slumber party and when you come over, you donate a pair of pajamas.

GLITTER: What celebrities have supported Pajama Program and how?

GENEVIEVE: We honored Meredith Vieira several years ago as Mother of the Year and she has suppired us by participating in our events. Yesterday she did a segment on Pajama Program on her TV show here: http://meredithvieirashow.com/videos/pick-me-up-truck-the-pajama-program/

Also, Carla Hall is on our Board of Directors – she is our amazing and funny auctioneer and MC for events.

GLITTER: What are your goals for Pajama Program for 2015?

GENEVIEVE: Pajama Program has launched an exciting new initiative, One Million Good Nights, to collect one million new pajamas, one million new books, and the resources needed to get them into the hands of  children in need and adolescents from October 1, 2013 to December 31, 2015. As the lead pajama partner of our One Million Good Nights Campaign, Carter’s is our lead partner for the One Million Good Nights promise and Scholastic is Pajama Program’s book partner.

CLICK THE LOGO BELOW TO GET INSTANTLY
ON NOOK OR SUBSCRIBE OR BUY A SINGLE COPY

images

GLITTER-SHOP
logo-barnes-noble__120821132934index

index

Or find your national STATE NEWSSTAND